For the fourth and final installment of our Women’s Health Month blog collection, we spoke with Lei Wang, MD, a rheumatologist with Dignity Wellness Woodland Clinic. Dr. Wang shares guidance on popular rheumatic ailments — which are circumstances that impact joints, tendons, ligaments, bones, and muscle tissues.
What are some rheumatic disorders gals ought to be knowledgeable of as they age?
Dr. Wang: There are numerous common rheumatic ailments that can impact folks as they age, which include polymyalgia rheumatica, giant cell arteritis, osteoarthritis, crystal arthritis and osteoporosis. Among these ailments, the pursuing are a lot more frequent in gals, specially following they enter menopause, all around age 55:
- Osteoarthritis is problems to the cartilage at the close of our bones, producing the bones within just the joint to rub with each other and produce agony, swelling or reduction of movement.
- Osteoporosis is a loss of bone mass or density, resulting in bones to grow to be brittle and boosting the danger for bone breakage.
What preventative steps can females take to reduced their danger of these circumstances?
Dr. Wang: Using calcium and vitamin D dietary supplements, both equally which are crucial vitamins and minerals for bone health and fitness. Even ladies in their early teenagers must get satisfactory calcium in their diet program to stop osteoporosis afterwards in lifetime.
Wholesome life style behavior can help lower the hazard of building rheumatic situations, as properly as lead to overall great well being like:
- Retaining a healthful weight
- Incorporating work out into each day activity (cardio work out, body weight-bearing and resistance exercises)
- Quitting or steering clear of smoking cigarettes cigarettes
- Restricting liquor intake
- Eradicating prospective dangers from the property to protect against falls or injury
Often, osteoporosis signs are not apparent, generating screening in particular important as we age. The sooner osteoporosis is detected, the quicker lifestyle changes can be applied that can enormously lessen the risk of fractures. Gals who are postmenopausal and women of all ages about 65 years aged really should be screened for osteoporosis annually. If you detect a reduction of height, stooped posture, lower back again discomfort, or an easily broken bone, you really should communicate to your doctor about screening.
Get hold of your main treatment medical professional or rheumatologist to explore and schedule once-a-year screenings, or seek the advice of our “Uncover a Health practitioner” resource to find a Dignity Health doctor close to you.