If you’re looking for a special recipe—for a holiday, romantic dinner, party, or Sunday night family meal—then this vegan puff pastry recipe for Mini Curried Lentil Wellingtons is the one. I first created this puff pastry recipe for a New Year’s Eve party a few years ago, and I’ve been enjoying it ever since. In fact, people tell me that they make it for their holiday table! This Wellington recipe is a classic!
This Wellington recipe is the perfect elegant entrée, with its savory, aromatic lentil vegetable filling encased in layers of crisp puff pastry (I use frozen puff pastry). And these mini, individual, hand-held Wellingtons are also really delicious as an appetizer or a sophisticated “sandwich” at a picnic or outdoor event (LA folks, think Hollywood Bowl!). You can make them in advance and eat them cold, or just warm them up in the oven prior to eating. I love to serve this recipe with a sweet-tart fruity sauce, such as my Pomegranate Mandarin Sauce, pictured below.
What is puff pastry?
It is a light, flaky pastry product made from layers of dough and butter. When you bake it, the dough puffs up and gets golden, crisp, and delicious. While many puff pastries are non-vegan, because they contain butter, you can find a variety of frozen puff pastry products that are vegan. While most puff pastry contains gluten, you can find a few brands that are gluten-free. Just read the labels.
Follow along with my step-by-step guide on how to make these vegan wellingtons. They look a lot harder to make than they really are, meaning they will impress everyone at your table!
Watch me make this recipe on Instagram here.
This vegan recipe for Mini Curried Lentil Wellingtons, each a crisp individual puff pastry filled with a delicious blend of lentils and spices, is great as an appetizer, entrée, holiday feature, or sophisticated hand-held sandwich at a picnic.
Curried Lentil Filling:
- 1 package (1 pound 1.5 ounces; 8 5×5-inch squares) vegan puff pastry dough squares, defrosted (if you can’t find squares, try sheets and slice them into about 5×5-inch squares)
- Water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, peas, curry powder, and black pepper and sauté for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils and vegetable broth, stirring to combine. Cover, and let simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove lid and allow to simmer for another 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed, and lentils are tender but not mushy. Adjust moisture as needed by adding water if too much is lost to evaporation during cooking. Should achieve a moist texture, with no residual liquid.
- Stir walnuts into mixture and remove from stove.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare pastry by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out 8 puff pastry squares evenly over the baking sheet.
- Fill the center of each pastry square with ¼ cup of filling.
- Fold over the top edge of the pastry to line up with the bottom edge, forming a triangle.
- Using a pastry brush in a small dish of water, moisten the bottom edge of the pastry.
- Using a fork, secure the top edge to the bottom edge of the pastry by pressing with the fork around the entire edge.
- Place plant-based milk in a small dish. Dip the pastry brush into the plant-based milk and moisten the surface of the pastries with the brush.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and enjoy!
This recipe is excellent served with this Pomegranate Mandarin Sauce.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free puff pastry.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan wellington, wellington, vegan entree
For other plant-based entrees, check out some of my favorites:
Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Red Bean and Okra Jambalaya
Cauliflower Spinach Lasagna
Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat
Vegan Mac and Cheese with Peas
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.